We live on a water planet. We are all connected to the ocean no matter where we live. The air we breathe, the fresh water we drink, and our climate are all linked to the ocean.
We provide interactive classroom talks on a variety of ocean topics.
- Phytoplankton and marine food webs
- Ocean pollution & recycling
- Overfishing and healthy & sustainable seafood
- Climate change and health
- Ocean biodiversity and ocean gratitude
- Our research and education program goal is to inspire ocean conservation and encourage people to take action to protect the ocean.
- We are planning a world oceans day celebration at a local middle school for students and their families.
- We sponsor art, photography, and poetry contests focused on ocean conservation and water safety.
Ocean and Human Health Research
Our research focuses on people who spend a lot of time in the ocean like lifeguards and surfers. We investigate whether exposure to seawater has any association with health symptoms and mental health. Specific water quality issues investigated are: phytoplankton species, red tides/harmful algal blooms, and bacteria (enterococci).
- Surfer Health Study, Monterey Bay, California (acute health symptoms)
- Surfer/swimmer/SUP health study, Monterey Bay, California
- Lifeguard Health Study, US (physical and mental health)
- Lifeguards and ocean & beach safety.